Thursday, June 18, 2009

A Moment of Noise to Honor Our Friends

After going to the Boulder Theatre last week to pay tribute to our lost friends Jonny Copp, Mica Dash, and Wade Johnson in remote western China, and I wasn’t sure if I was up to the fundraising event last night at the Spot. As it turns out I would not have missed the event for anything. A huge thanks goes out to the Spot for putting this event on and to Timmy O’Neil for MC’ing. The night was full of friends, stories, slides, and laughs.

The climbing community came out in force as a show of respect and support to the three climbers and thanks to the recovery team of Nick Rosen, Mick Folari, Pete Takeda, Steve Su, Eric DeCaria, and Nick Martino. They were able to recover Jonny and Wade and left Mica to be with the mountain as it was unsafe to try and continue the search for him.

A memorable moment of noise will live with me the rest of my life as a tribute to my friends and community. It is always hard to say goodbye, but sometimes we are able to quietly or loudly express gratitude to what we were given by those who have passed.

If you have any interest there will be a gathering on July 11th to celebrate. The details can be found at www.adventurefilm.org

We will miss you my friends. Be good.

- Mike Alkaitis

Micah Dash and Johnny Copp segment of "The Sharp End" from Cedar Wright on Vimeo.

No comments: