We are actively pursuing other options for the BRC. We recognize the auto belays are an important tool for many of our members and visitors. At this time, it’s hard to say when we will have a replacement but we assure you we are looking into the best options.
In the mean time, we have set up a few great resources for you to find a partner. They are:
1) Partner sign up sheet at the front desk: When you enter the BRC ask the front desk to sign up for a partner. We will do our best to match you up with another member who is also looking for a climbing partner.
2) Partner Board: We’ve added a “Looking for Partners” board in the gym. It’s a great way to find new climbing partners. Check it out next time you’re in the gym
3) Facebook Discussion Board: On the BRC/CMS Facebook page under “Discussion Board” you can post that you’re looking for a partner. Please include when you plan to climb, time, and climbing ability (TR, Lead, etc..). Partner Finder
4) Discounted Rate for a belayer. You can hire a belayer for $20 per hour. Just call the BRC and we’ll get it booked for your next visit to the gym
The BRC staff appreciates your continued business and patience while we resolve this issue. If you have any questions please contact us. We look forward to seeing you at the BRC soon.
As you are already aware, MSA issued a Stop-Use Notice on Redpoint and Auto-Belay Descenders on October 14, 2009 and a subsequent Stop-Use Update on November 3, 2009. The Stop-Use Notices were emailed and mailed to all Repoint and affected Auto-Belay purchasers that MSA has on record. After conducting a thorough investigation, MSA is planning to discontinue the Redpoint Descender.
MSA did not make this decision lightly, and we regret any inconvenience this action may cause. As you are aware, there are alternative belay systems available from other manufactures. While we regret having to take this action, the overriding need to ensure the safety of all those using our product on recreational climbing walls is our highest priority. With this action, MSA is effectively exiting the recreational market for climbing wall auto-belay systems. MSA will, however, continue to focus on and serve the industrial fall protection market, as we have done since 1930. In short, MSA is committed to the industrial fall protection market and will continue to serve our customers there with the most dependable industrial fall protection system available today.
We are developing a reimbursement program for eligible Redpoint and Auto-Belay Descenders. Our program plans are currently being reviewed by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). Following the CPSC review, we plan to issue a recall notice to owners and distributors of the affected products, including instructions for the return of units.
It is important that the Stop-Use remain in effect. Please do not use any Redpoint Descender of affected Auto-Belay Descender.
As a reminder, the Stop-Use Notice applies to the following descender units:
- All Redpoint Descenders (part number 10024873, 10027646, and 10027798)
- Auto-Belay Descenders (part number 100211806) manufactured or last serviced on or after June 30, 2000.
Charles J Seibel, Jr.
Manager of Product Safety
MSA North America